What I Look For In A Nappy Bag
Finding the right nappy bag isn’t easy. Especially if you want something stylish AND practical.
Knowing what you want makes the decision making process a lot easier though. It allows you to eliminate those nappy bags that don’t meet the criteria, making way for the best ones to shine.
Nappy bag deciphering
After four kids and just shy of 10 years as a mum (I cannot believe it has been that long – and that I am old enough to say that!) I have fine-tuned my ability to look at a baby bag and know whether it is a yay or nay within seconds.
Yes I might write some off too early but they obviously didn’t strike my fancy in more ways than one so they were never going to make the cut.
My nappy bag must have
All bags are the same, right? Wrong! Each nappy bag has little quirks and signature details that make them unique, a lot of these are great but a lot I wouldn’t actually use. So here is what is a nappy bag must have for me to consider it.
• Storage – Storage everywhere! Regardless whether the pockets are internal or on the outer of the bag, I like storage. Individual pockets are ideal because it allows you to store each thing in its own place. A designated pockets for sanitiser, tissues, phone/keys, formula canister, disposable hygiene bags, snacks, etc.
• Nappy change mat – In this day and age, parenting rooms are everywhere so there is no reason a nappy change mat is not included in the purchase of a nappy bag. They are convenient, designed to fold and fit perfectly within the bag.
• Accessory bag – While technically this should be included in the storage point, I like it when my nappy bags have a small, extra removable zipped compartment. These are commonly used for medicine, bandaids and whatnot but I use them to put a spare set of bubs clothes in just in case we suffer from the unimaginable poo explosion.
• Size – I want space. Lots of it BUT the important and often tricky part about this point is that I also don’t want a huge awkward sized bag. It must not be in excess of the size of a large handbag. Which brings me to my next ‘must have’.
• Style – I use my nappy bag as a handbag a lot of the time because I don’t want to be carrying two bags. It needs to look fashionable, on trend and come in gorgeous colours.
• Practicality – Let’s talk handles. I am a bit of a pain in the arse when it comes to this because I want the option of a handbag style nappy bag where I can hold the handles and away we go but I also want the choice of throwing it over my shoulder when my hands are full. Just a sec, I’m not done. It also needs to be able to strap to my pram/stroller handle for convenience when on the go.
• Wipe clean interior – Spills happen, especially when you have kids so the last thing you want is a bag you cannot clean easily. A wipe clean interior is an absolute must!
So is it possible to find a great quality nappy bag that offers everything above?
It sure is.
If you are looking for a new baby bag that offers everything mentioned above, and more, the Caroline leather nappy bag could be the answer you have been searching for.
It is made from soft pebbled leather, I love the tan but it is also available in black and navy blue. The Caroline features a very impressive 11 individual storage sections including one magnetic and two outer zippered pockets. You can read more about how great the Storksak Caroline Leather nappy bag is here.