Home » Lucky Dip » A great day but then…

A great day but then…

Yesterday I attended a blogging event. My day started at 6 am so I could make it to Sydney on time for the event. I got there on time but most importantly, without getting lost! Sydney has so many bloody lanes – everywhere! Anyway the bloggers brunch was amazing, I learnt about some fantastic products, made some brand connections and had the pleasure of catching up with some amazing fellow bloggers. And of course enjoying some delicious food.

christmas snacks

The day was ridiculously hot. The sun was burning and there was not a breeze around. Imagine dry desert tumbleweed but in Centennial Park, Sydney. So freaking hot! Anyway I collected all my goodies and said my final Good Bye’s, thanks for having us, wonderful to meet you, etc. and made my way to the car. I pushed the unlock button on my keys but nothing happened. I tried again and then again just in case. But still nothing. Oh shit the battery in my remote must be flat. I unlocked the door the old-fashioned way and thought I’d start the car and crank the air-con so Poppet could get out of the heat and cool down. I put the key in the ignition, foot on the clutch and turned the key. Nothing happened. I instantly looked down and realised I had left the lights on. FUCK! My battery is dead flat! FUCK FUCK FUCK!!

I made my way back to the restaurant with Poppet in the pram and asked the guys (waiters/chefs/etc) if any of them had jumper leads and were able to give me a jump but unfortunately none did. They told me to take seat and get out of the heat, relax and they bought me ice-cold water and filled up Poppets sippy cup while I rang around to get some roadside assistance. Stupidly I didn’t already have a membership for roadside assist as I am never far from home but of course now that I was it was going to happen. I rang NRMA and she told me it was cost me almost $300 – WHAT?! I just need a jump start. So I thought I’d try Allianz, $170 later and help had been dispatched. I sat and ordered a latte which was absolutely delicious and waited an hour for the truck to arrive. He kicked it over and we were free to leave, at 4 pm. Now to make our home to the Hunter Valley – of course we hit peak hour traffic so didn’t make it home until 7.30pm.

products at bloggers brunch

What a day! An adventure filled, hot, flat battery day. Even though this shitty thing happened and it cost me $170 (yes it was my own doing), I would still class the day as a wonderfully successful day. I made it home safely and had a fantastic morning meeting new people!

Have you ever broken down or had a flat battery? Share your story so I know I’m not alone!

All Mum Said
Get Social


  1. 15/11/2014 / 5:19 pm

    I heard another blogger who went couldn’t get home cos of bushfires. I’m still jealous I didn’t get to go because I don’t live in Sydney 🙁 Yes, I’ve had heaps of flat batteries all at very inconvenient times! My sympathies 🙂

    • 15/11/2014 / 5:24 pm

      Oh no I hope their homes and families are safe! I am not in Sydney either but thought I’m close enough that I still could. How far are you from there?

        • 16/11/2014 / 4:42 pm

          haha oh yeah that’s a fair way! I used to live up that way – around Moranbah/Mackay/Glenden.

  2. Deborah
    15/11/2014 / 5:32 pm

    Been lucky never ever had a flat battery TOUCH WOOD

    • 16/11/2014 / 4:43 pm

      oh it sucks! It’s the first time it’s ever happened to me and I never want it to again. *Embarrassing*

  3. 15/11/2014 / 6:38 pm

    Oh no! You poor thing 🙁 When I was reading I was sure that the alarm was going to go off when you used the key. That has happened to me (some cars don’t like you locking with the autolock & unlocking by key) and I couldn’t work out how to stop it! It was soooo embarrassing.

    • 16/11/2014 / 7:14 pm

      Oh no! At least mine didn’t draw attention. Lol. Either way both situations suck :/

  4. 15/11/2014 / 8:50 pm

    Oh no hun. It was great seeing you again and your little (big) girl.

    I was stuck once at the kids school. Pissing down rain so i stayed in the car. Turned the car off but left the lights on stupidly. Car wouodnt start. I couldn’t open any of the windows so the windows fogged up. My roadside assistance ran out 1 day before so I had to renew my roadside assistance. I think it was $199. Waited over an hour. The kids writing “Help” on the windows because they were foggy.
    Was a shit day.

    • 16/11/2014 / 4:44 pm

      haha you have made me feel so much better 🙂 It is such a shitty thing happen!
      It was fantastic to see you again as well, hopefully it won’t be another year before it happens again.

  5. 15/11/2014 / 9:53 pm

    I wish I could’ve come, but I couldn’t afford the flights to Sydney. What happened to you definitely sounds like something that would happen to me though.

    • 16/11/2014 / 4:46 pm

      Oh stupid crap like this seems to follow me around but the flat battery is a new one fore me! It would have been great to meet you but there will be plenty more events, we will catch up one day – when one of us has money. haha 🙂

  6. 16/11/2014 / 8:13 pm

    Awful!! You poor thing, on such a horribly hot day too. It was wonderful to see you however! Hope to meet up again soon.

    • 16/11/2014 / 9:11 pm

      It was SO hot wasn’t it! Thankfully the nice guys in the restaurant were so lovely and let me soak up their air-con. Lol. It was so good to see you as well, will have to make sure I’m at the next event so we can catch up again.

  7. 16/11/2014 / 9:02 pm

    Oh no! What a terrible way to end a lovely day.

    We had the worst breakdown experience on Easter Sunday 2013. We left Sydney at 4pm to drive up the North Coast for a relaxing week away. The car broke down about 1.5 hours in. Our engine needed to be completely replaced so we were towed to the nearest NRMA service centre while hubby’s brothers drove up with one of their cars for us to use. At 1:30am we arrived after 8.5 hours when it should have been 3.5. That holiday we found out we were pregnant with our daughter so just thankful we didn’t actually have her with us or it would have been a nightmare!

    • 16/11/2014 / 9:08 pm

      oh no! That would have been horrible. Lucky indeed she wasn’t born yet, would have made you rethink ever going on another trip – just in case.
      Yes it was a pretty shitty way to end such a great day but I still think it was a successful day. I met a lot of amazing ladies!

  8. 17/11/2014 / 10:36 am

    Oh no you poor thing! Lucky you were able to seek refuge at the restaurant! Sorry we missed out on seeing you though! Thankfully the time I had a flat battery we were still at home, I realise after putting the kids in the car I couldn’t start it up and so just rang up NRMA. Not looking forward to it happening again! Hope to see you at the next event

  9. 17/11/2014 / 10:39 am

    OMG Kell!!! That’s not good at all!! How did we not meet at the brunch!!??? I would have loved to have met you in person lovely lady!!!!

  10. 17/11/2014 / 10:00 pm

    Bahahahahaha! The bushfire one was me! I thought I had a rough trip home but yours sounds just as good. It took me 4.5 hours to get home. Stuck on the train because the rail lines were closed because of the fires and so was the highway in both directions. Crappy way to end an awesome day BUT thank goodness my husband decided to take the day off so I could leave the 2 year old at home. That would have been painful!

  11. 17/11/2014 / 10:01 pm

    And PS. A bit bummed that we didn’t cross paths at the event.

  12. 17/11/2014 / 10:14 pm

    What a huge day for you and your little one!! Good on you for coming down – that was surely a hot day!

    • 26/11/2014 / 12:18 pm

      haha yes that’s one way to describe the day! Thanks for popping in and leaving a comment Anna.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.