Numeracy, just like literacy, begins at home. In this age of digital learning, we’re blessed with multiple (get it?!) opportunities to introduce our children to mathematical concepts.
Here’s a collation of resources where you can find maths online in a variety of forms. Some of these are for primary school aged kids, some pre-school, some toddlers and some are for older kids. A variety of apps have also been included for maths online on-the-go!
Maths Online: Math Playground
This is a great site that offers math and logic games as well as video explanations for kindergarten children through to early high school. Lots of games make the learning fun for kids and allows them to develop skills in a fun, relaxed setting. You can find Math Playground here.
Maths Online: Adapted Mind
Years 1 through 8 are covered on Adapted Mind. Allow your children to explore fractions, algebra, percentages and decimals as well as multiplication and division. This is a particularly good site for those parents who struggle with long-forgotten basic maths!
Maths Online: Kids Math Games
This is a GREAT site that’s got something for learners of every age. From logic puzzles to games to learning about money to explanation videos – Kids Math Games is the place to come for that extra help you need. The website can also link you through to some English worksheets so it’s a helpful ‘one stop shop’ for the two subjects.
Maths Online: Maths For Kids
This site is also available in app form!
Maths for Kids is designed for children from age 6 to 11 so there’s space in there for extension or a more remedial focus depending on your child’s need. Levels are split into easy or difficult which will help children find success as they navigate through a variety of different concepts.
Maths Online: Preschool Math Games
Here are a great set of maths games for the pre-school crowd! This site assists with all kinds of learning – from addition using pizzas and burgers (yum!) to complex logical concepts like the process of elimination. Preschool Math Games is definitely a great choice for looking to improve numeracy skills for children who are yet to enter the formal schooling system.
Maths Online: Smarty Games
This is another great maths online game for younger children that also works well on a tablet (making it great for travel). Smarty Games will help your children learn about basic maths concepts, money, time, counting, puzzles and the use of logic. It’s set out in a very colourful, easy to use design that will be appealing to younger children.
Maths Online: APPS for kids!
Here’s a quick overview of where to get some great free maths online apps for kids.
- MATH TRAINING FOR KIDS (Ages 3 and up. Basic mathematical functions.)
- KIDS MATH (Ages 3 to 5. Timed levels about basic maths concepts.)
- PRESCHOOL MATH GAMES FOR KIDS (Ages 2 to 8. Games combined with mathematical exercises and drills.)
- LET’S DO THE MATH (Ages 6 and up. Use either a flashcard function or a series of puzzles to cover basic functional mathematical concepts.)
- THINKING BLOCKS MULTIPLICATION (Ages 7 to 10. Problem solving, multiplication word problems and number relationships.)
Why use maths online?
Maths is a subject that many children struggle with. It’s easy to quickly feel left behind the rest of the class and to get into a negative mindset of “I just can’t do it!”. Using fun maths online games can take the angst out of learning and allow children to relax and enjoy the concepts rather than fear them.
PIN THIS POST:
Ok bloggers, now it is time for you to link up your blog posts with Mummy Mondays!
Please read the linky guidelines –
- Leave a comment below showing your host some love AND comment on at least TWO other posts!
- Link up ONE of your favourite blog posts for the last week and don’t forget to share the comment love on at least a few other blogs that have linked up.
- Your post doesn’t have to be parenting related, pretty much any post goes.
- Please add the Mummy Mondays button to your post/blog to put the word out there about the linky party… the more the merrier.