May of 2019 will see the annual Girl Guides Australia Biscuit Drive take place that funds guiding Guiding and community activities.
But what are the Girl Guides all about? And how could your little lady benefit from joining up?
About Girl Guides Australia
Chances are you’ve heard of the Girl Guides before. You might think it’s just roasting marshmallows on an open fire and pinning badges to shirts. However, Girl Guides Australia both IS and OFFERS so much more to today’s young women. Here’s what they do.
This is an organisation that includes and is open to girls and young women of all abilities. It’s incredibly diverse with no particular religious affinity – girls from 5+ years are welcome to join in the fun. All faiths and cultures are both invited and respected. They’re definitely #MoreThanABiscuit! Girl Guides Australia is a celebration of the skills and abilities that each young lady brings to the table.
Over 24,000 Australians are members of this wonderful, unique organisation. There are 10 million Girl Guides world-wide represented in 150 different countries! To join a movement such as this means opening up your daughter’s world to concepts like resilience, determination, ‘giving it a go’ and the importance of friendship and respect. All of these are valuable lessons and this is absolutely the right place to start that learning journey.
What Do Biscuits Do?
Besides being delicious, you mean?
Girl Guides are more than their biscuits. However, they’re an important part of the funding of these vital community-based services.
The Biscuit Drive means a celebration of all the aspects of Girl Guides activities that makes them so very special. Diversity, friendship, confidence and empowerment are key ideologies that underpin Girl Guides practice. It’s a chance for the broader community to connect with and support these vital messages and to show our girls that we believe in them.
Girl Guides provides young women with the opportunity to practice their own leadership skills in a safe, encouraging environment where their voices are heard. This is where our future female leaders are shaped and, by supporting the Biscuit Drive, you can show these girls that you embrace the drive that they have to reach their full potential.
Where Does The Money Go?
Girl Guides Australia use the funds from the Biscuit Drive to deliver programs that directly speak to what girls want and need. They focus on the issues that impact our daughters in today’s society – confidence, the ability to speak your mind, the capacity to stand up for yourself and self-respect. This program aims to help girls reach for the stars – and it’s supported by your biscuit purchases.
Programs focus on issues like:
- Focusing on women in leadership and encouraging young girls to see themselves as potential future leaders
- Enhancing financial literacy skills so girls can be independent and see their value in the workplace and the broader community
- Body image, stereotypes and representations in the media that can so often dampen the spirits of our daughters
- Increasing awareness of domestic violence and teaching our young women that they have a right to stand up and say no
What’s On Offer In The #MoreThanABiscuit Campaign?
This iconic range of delicious treats includes vanilla biscuits, buttery shortbread (that’s gluten free!) and mini chocolate-chip biscuits made with real chocolate.
You can purchase these biscuits through your local Girl Guide Unit or from State Offices while stocks last. For more information, go to Girl Guide Biscuits.
PIN THIS POST:
Ok bloggers, now it is time for you to link up your blog posts with Mummy Mondays!
Please read the linky guidelines –
- Leave a comment below showing your host some love AND comment on at least TWO other posts!
- Link up ONE of your favourite blog posts for the last week and don’t forget to share the comment love on at least a few other blogs that have linked up.
- Your post doesn’t have to be parenting related, pretty much any post goes.
- Please add the Mummy Mondays button to your post/blog to put the word out there about the linky party… the more the merrier.
Latest posts by All Mum Said (see all)
- Free Maths Online For Kids - 21/07/2019
- So You Think You’re Ready? Here’s What You DIDN’T Know About Being a Parent! - 15/07/2019
- Vtech Paw Patrol Learning Watch Review + Giveaway - 10/07/2019