Are your valuables safe at home? Would you notice if something was stolen? Don’t take your security for granted.
Everyone likes to think their neighbourhood is safe and for the most part they are. But do you want to be caught by surprise and have your precious belongings taken from you? Of course not! The tips below will help you keep your valuables safe at home.
Ways you can protect your belongings
You cannot always be at home keeping an eye on your property. This doesn’t mean you want it taken or damaged though. There are a few simple ways you can protect what is yours and know that at the end of the day you have done everything you can to ensure your valuables are safe.
• Lock your house – This is so obvious but it is surprising how many residents don’t do it. Lock your windows, doors, security screens and don’t forget to set your house alarm.
• Befriend your neighbours – If you are going away, you want someone you can trust to keep an eye on your place. Someone to watch if suspicious activity occurs.
• Install a safe – There are many reasons why people install safes in their homes. The main one is so their valuable possessions are not stolen should their home be broken into. Other motives include the possibility of losing paperwork in house fires, safety (weapons/medicine/etc) and even security. If you are considering installing a safe in your home ensure it is heavy and bolted down.
• Hide your things – There are several places that are typically overlooked by burglars. These include:
* Inside children’s toys in their bedroom – it is no surprise a kid’s room is not generally raided when someone is looking for valuable belongings. It is all just toys and mess after all, or is it?
* Between the pages of a book on a full bookshelf. As if they are going to search through each and every book, just in case!
• Get a dog – Dogs are a great deterrent for thieves. Why? They can appear scary and dangerous.
For more information on how you can protect your home and belongings from break and enters, visit the NSW Crime Prevention website.
Prevention is the best course of action when it comes to protecting your home and the valuables you hold inside. Don’t risk that ‘you’ll be right’ because you will be until that one day when you’re not!
Have you suffered a break-in? What of yours was taken?
- Benefits of Renting Construction Equipment When Renovating - 01/08/2020
- Review: Do Modibodi Period Underwear Really Work? + Giveaway - 01/05/2020
- The Challenges of Homeschooling - 27/04/2020