Nappy Bag Checklist – How To Be Prepared For Outings
A baby changes your life so much. One of the biggest changes you notice almost immediately is that you have to prepare for leaving the house.
You need a nappy bag that is fully stocked with whatever it is that babies need because if you forget it, you could be left frazzled and panicky. This may or may not happen but new mums often feel extra pressure to get it right from day one.
Tip: Relax. We are ALL still learning.
Nappy bag essentials
Here is my go-to basic essentials list for new mums so they don’t get caught out.
• Nappy bag – this is an obvious one but it is also a way that mum can add your touch of personality and style to her new found ‘mum accessory’. See below for what I look for in a nappy / baby bag.
• Nappies – a handful of nappies (I personally use disposables because I don’t want to carry dirty nappies around with me all day).
• Nappy sacks – you know the little plastic bags designed for nappies. These are invaluable!
• Spare clothes – I carry a minimum of one set for bub (onsies are ideal as they take up less space) and also consider taking a spare top for you. You never know when you will have a breastfeeding mishap or poo leakage – yes it happens!
• Hand sanitiser – Do not leave the house without it. On occasion your baby will require a new nappy and there may not be a parent’s room nearby, this will mean you have to change the nappy in the car or pram. Hand sanitiser is your friend!
• Bottles/formula – if you are formula feeding do not forget to pack at least one bottle full of pre-boiled water and formula (keep separate until required).
• Cloth/feeding cover – if you are breastfeeding do not forget a cloth or feeding cover. This is also handy as they double as a burp rag.
• Comfort items – dummy, blanky, rattle or teddy. Whatever will make your outing more peaceful!
• Snacks and water – these are crucial for you and bub if they are a little bit older.
What to look for in a nappy bag
Finding the right nappy bag for you can be tough. I cannot speak for everyone but this is what I look for when purchasing a nappy bag.
• Wipe clean lining
• Multi-compartments – being organised is reliant on this.
• Insulated bottle holder
• Padded changing mat – it is extremely convenient when the bag included one because it is something you will need for years to come.
• Stroller straps – I don’t often hook the baby bag to the stroller but when I do it is handy when the bag has built in straps designed for this purpose.
• Stylish – Style is one of the most important features because if you have to take a nappy bag with you, you want to at least look good!
• Quality – Good quality is important because otherwise it is just a waste of money. A great nappy bag will last you years of full time use!
Before you can pack your nappy bag for an outing, you really should ensure you know what to look for in a nappy bag before you purchase one. There are a few essential attributes that a nappy bag should have, read more.
Latest posts by All Mum Said (see all)
- Tips to Baby Proof Your Home - 25/08/2019
- A Parents’ Survival Guide to Eating Out with Small Kids - 19/08/2019
- What are the best free pregnancy apps on the market? - 04/08/2019