Is “ME TIME” making you feel guilty? Here’s why you SHOULD take care of YOURSELF without the “mum guilt”!
When’s the last time you paid attention during a flight safety announcement? Like, actually paid attention, not just flicked through the on-flight magazine tutting about watches you can’t afford.
The flight attendants demonstrate what to do if the oxygen masks fall from the ceiling (besides panic, obviously). They clearly state to APPLY YOUR OWN MASK before you tend to anyone else.
Why? Why would it be important to take care of yourself first before helping others?
To make sure you’re calm. To make sure you’re in control. To make sure that you can do what you need to do to support the needs of your loved ones. Sounds straight-forward, right? Simple?
So why do we find it SO HARD to apply the same logic to our every day lives?
Mum Guilt – it’s a thing
We chase our tails trying to give absolutely all of ourselves at all times in all ways. The perfect wife. The perfect mother. The perfect colleague, friend, daughter, neighbour. Give, give, give because that’s what we think is our lot in life. “That’s motherhood for you!” they say as soon as you mention you’re tired. “Welcome to being a mum!” you’re told, condescendingly, when you mention you haven’t had your hair done in months.
But what’s the real cost of all this endless giving?
Putting mum first means putting the family first as well
Simply put, you cannot retrieve water from an empty well. If you are so run down that you feel like a shell of your former self, how can you possibly be putting your best foot forward?
If you delay picking the little one up from childcare by half an hour so you can get some new shoes after work, what’s the harm?
If you plan a night out with your friends, leaving your PERFECTLY CAPABLE partner or trusted friend to care for your kids, what’s the harm?
If you decide to spend some cash actually getting your roots done, making you feel better about yourself, what’s the freaking harm?!
Motherhood does not have to equal martyrdom. If you take care of yourself you’ll feel better which means you’ll BE better. Kick mum guilt in the butt for good and put on your own mask FIRST.
PIN THIS POST:
Ok bloggers, now it is time for you to link up your blog posts with Mummy Mondays!
Please read the linky guidelines –
- Leave a comment below showing your host some love AND comment on at least TWO other posts!
- Link up ONE of your favourite blog posts for the last week and don’t forget to share the comment love on at least a few other blogs that have linked up.
- Your post doesn’t have to be parenting related, pretty much any post goes.
- Please add the Mummy Mondays button to your post/blog to put the word out there about the linky party… the more the merrier.
Latest posts by All Mum Said (see all)
- Easter Gift Ideas That AREN’T Chocolate! + GIVEAWAY - 17/04/2019
- Vaccinations During Pregnancy – What Parents Need To Know - 14/04/2019
- Tips for the Ultimate Home Movie Day + Giveaway - 07/04/2019