The time comes for every parent to let their child take control of their first mobile phone. This is a massive step because it means that your child is growing up, becoming more mature and ready to take on this extra responsibility.
So what kind of phone do they need? Do they need the latest and greatest mobile phone on the market? Absolutely not! There are plenty of cheap yet adequate mobiles that are perfect as a first mobile phone. The beauty of prepaid mobiles today is that the phones are affordable and there are some great offers for prepaid sims. It’s not like a decade ago when you would wait until 8pm so you could text your best mate for free!
Alcatel Dex smartphone – Boost Mobile
My kids are not quite at the age of having a mobile phone, my eldest is only 10 so for the past week I have been using the Alcatel Dex smartphone from Boost Mobile to give a review on whether it would make a good first phone.
In short… YES! The Dex would be perfect for a child getting their first phone or an adult that doesn’t need the most expensive and up to date features. So here is a summary of what I thought.
- Colours – Upon opening the box I realised that you can actually choose what colour backing you want as it comes with 3 interchangeable covers – black, green and orange. Naturally I went with green because it is bright and I can find it in my handbag. The front of the phone remains black and cannot be changed.
- Durability – I was pleasantly surprised by how durable the Alcatel Dex mobile actually is. I have dropped it (unintentionally, I’m just clumsy) a few times now and not even a scratch. I know that if I were to drop my Samsung Galaxy without its life-proof case, I would be needing to replace the screen. So that is definitely a win, it’s durable!
- Size – The size is quite convenient, it isn’t too small yet still large enough that it is easy to use. It is 14cm long, 7cm wide and 1cm deep with a 12.5cm (5”) display.
- Display quality – While it is not the crispest image I have seen on a mobile phone, for the price of the Dex it stands up pretty well! The display is clear and easy to see.
- Camera – Offering a 5MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, you can take sufficient photos and selfies to cherish and share.
- Coverage – We are in a pretty good area in terms of mobile phone coverage so I cannot comment for those who aren’t but I have not any issues not getting service. It is also 4G compatible.
- Ease of use – I’ll be honest, swapping out my usual phone for this Alcatel Dex smartphone one has been like learning a new language. I have had to learn how it all operates, where each feature goes and retrain what my brain is used to. But for the most part, it has been very easy to use! It also comes with a wide range of notification sounds, the battery lasts for quite some time and it uses Goggle Play for its apps.
- Storage – 8GB memory that is expandable up to 32GB.
- RRP – $99.00. This includes the Alcatel Dex smartphone and $10 starter credit with sim. You can purchase the Dex on boostmobile.com.au, or in leading retailers Kmart, Target or Big W.
If you or your child will be using this for social media, texting, phone calls and just the standard stuff but don’t want to spend a fortune, the Alcatel Dex smartphone is perfect. It may be cheap but it’s not nasty!
Prize includes: 1x Alcatel Dex smartphone (and sim card with $10 credit) + $30 Boost Mobile credit.
**As the winners are chosen based on skill and not chance; you will be sharing for 0 extra entries however I’d love you to share the giveaway with friends and family. Sharing is caring and karma loves kind people. **
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms & Conditions:
1. Australian residents only.
2. Judges decisions is final.
3. Winners must make contact within 72 hours.
4. This is a game of skill. Chance plays no part!
Therefore no extra points are given for sharing however it is good karma!!
5. All Mum Said is not responsible for delivery of prize.
6. All entries will be signed up to our newsletter, if you do not wish to sign up to our newsletter please advise us via email.
7. If prizes are not available, they will be replaced with similar priced items.
NOT endorsed by or have anything to do with facebook.
If you want to enter more giveaways click over here.
Disclosure: I received the Alcatel Dex smartphone for the purpose of this review.
All opinions are my own.
Latest posts by All Mum Said (see all)
- Tips to Baby Proof Your Home - 25/08/2019
- A Parents’ Survival Guide to Eating Out with Small Kids - 19/08/2019
- What are the best free pregnancy apps on the market? - 04/08/2019