“My kid sleeps through every night without fail and go straight to sleep at bedtime!” That’s great news for you, Karen. What about the rest of us parents?
Some kids struggle at bedtime. Consequently, this means that parents do too. But there are some things you can do to make this struggle easier. Before you give up, check out these great sleep tips for kids!
How to sleep better – tips for children
There are a number of factors that can prevent children from having a good night’s sleep and some can even be easily implemented. They included:
- Bedtime routine: Routine people!! Find a bedtime routine that works for your family and stick to it. Remember when your child was a baby and you relied on it for them to settle easily? Well, it’s exactly the same! This could be as simple as dinner, shower/bath time, play, read a book and then bed.
- Remove stimulants and technology: Say no to sugar, tea and other caffeinated drinks in the afternoon. Technology should cease use at least one hour before bedtime.
- Diet and exercise: A healthy diet, not eating large amounts of food right before bed and getting sufficient exercise and spending time in the sunlight throughout the day also promotes healthy sleep habits.
- Limit liquids: In the lead up to bedtime you should limit beverage intake. Keep your child hydrated throughout the day and they will not need a large drink at night. This will also help with night-time toilet training.
- Bedroom comfortable: Ensure your child’s bedroom is not too hot/cold. Is light enough or dark enough for them. Are their mattresses and sheets comfortable? When your child is night-time toilet training this can be a little harder as you need to ensure you have a mattress protector and bed pad. These can often make the bed uncomfortable and noisy but it doesn’t have to be. Keep reading to see how.
Protect-A-Bed mattress protector review
In an effort to not only provide my family with quality sleep each night but also protect the mattresses we have spent a small fortune on we jumped at the chance to review the Protect-A-Bed mattress protectors.
To start, I thought I’d try one for my bed and one of the kids. Over the years I have tried a few different protectors and some have been great while others have not breathed very well and have had me waking during the night feeling overheated. I think it goes without saying that when you have children and they are night-time toilet training, you need a mattress protector that will not fail you, that will not leak and that do not crinkle! We have been through more of these for the kids over the years than I’d care to admit. But… the Protect-A-Bed mattress protectors have proven themselves to be a quality product. An added bonus is they are machine and tumble dry safe – which is a must for me!
Protect-A-Bed Staynew Cotton Terry
I have been trialling this fitted mattress protector on one of the kids’ bed and I cannot fault it. It fits great, it’s soft and breathable, waterproof and the Miracle Layer™ provides protection against dust mites a common cause or trigger of allergies, asthma and eczema.
Absorbent Terry Towelling is best for spills and bed wetting. Cotton mattress protectors are a popular choice. Cotton is hypoallergenic, as it is a natural fibre. Protect-A-Bed’s® Miracle Layer™ is soft and comfortable yet waterproof and breathable. Machine wash and tumble dry. Boasting a fitted sheet style that is easy to fit and remove for regular washing.
Approved by the National Asthma Council Australia Sensitive Choice Program and recognised by the Eczema Association as Sensitive Skin Tried and Tested. (this now applies to all products not just Tencel) -From the Protect-A-Bed website.
Protect-A-Bed Cumulus – Cotton Jacquard
This fitted mattress protector is what I have been using on my bed. It is so soft and has cushion cloud quilting. It also features the Protect-A-Bed Miracle Layer and comes with a 5 year mattress guarantee.
The super soft, natural Cushion Cloud™ sleep surface provides a luxury feel and comfortable sleep environment. Protecting your mattress from spills and stains and you and your family from dust mite, mould and bacteria allergens. Cumulus™ also features Fresche® a naturally derived antimicrobial extracted from the coconut plant which is highly effective against bacteria, fungus, mould, mildew and odour. Fitted sheet style, machine wash and dry with other linens.
Approved by the National Asthma Council Australia Sensitive Choice Program and recognised by the Eczema Association as Sensitive Skin Tried and Tested. -From the Protect-A-Bed website.
I especially love that the fitted sheet even covers deep mattresses as this is something I have struggled to find in the past. I will definitely continue using the Protect-A-Bed protects in the future. Find your local stockist here.
Prize includes: 1x Adult Protector & 1x Child protector
Terms & Conditions:
1. Australian residents only.
2. Judges decisions are final.
3. The Promoter will do its best to contact the winner/s. If a winner does not accept their prize within 72 hours of being chosen, the Promoter will select the next best Eligible Entry/Entries.
4. This is a game of skill. Chance plays no part!
Therefore no extra points are given for sharing however it is good karma!!
5. All Mum Said is not responsible for delivery of prize.
6. If a prize is unavailable, you will receive another product of equal value.
7. Prizes are not transferable and not redeemable for cash.
8. All entries will be signed up to the All Mum Said newsletter list. If you do not wish to sign up for our newsletter please advise us via email.
NOT endorsed by or have anything to do with Facebook.
If you want to enter more free giveaways click here.
Latest posts by All Mum Said (see all)
- A Parents’ Survival Guide to Eating Out with Small Kids - 19/08/2019
- What are the best free pregnancy apps on the market? - 04/08/2019
- 8 Things Parents Will Never Have Enough Of - 29/07/2019