Today I thought I’d share with you all an absolute favourite recipe (even the fuss pot kids LOVE it)
This is not only delicious but it is also extremely quick and thrifty to make as you can change up the ingredients to suit what you have in the fridge.
This is also good if the kids want to help with the pastry – let them cut out shapes and put them on top (as seen in pic below). My boys love helping with dinner (sometimes I don’t love it as much as them – they make it a lot messier and time consuming) however it makes it worth it when they see the finished product and know they helped, the big smiles and the fact they will actually eat it makes a huge difference!
Bacon, Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
1 1/2 cups of small cooked (diced) chicken
4 bacon rashers
1 1/2 (sliced) mushrooms
1 onion (diced)
2 tbs butter
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbs plain flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
Pinch nutmeg (tastes fine without it)
2 tbs oil
1. Cook chicken and then set aside in mixing bowl.
2. Melt half of the butter in fry pan and add onion, bacon and mushroom. Cook until soft then add to bowl with chicken. Add herbs and mix through.
3. Add remaining butter to empty frypan and melt. Add flour (stirring until it combines) then slowly stir in milk and cream over low heat until it thickens.
4. Add sauce to the chicken mix and combine. Let cool.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C.
6. Cut pastry to make large pie or individual pies (stab pastry with fork a few times, so it doesn’t go soggy)
7. Fill with chicken mix and cover with pastry.
8. Brush with lightly beaten egg and bake until pastry turns golden brown.
Let me know what you think of this simple and hunger busting chicken and mushroom pie recipe.
DEFINITELY WORTH GIVING A GO!
If there are any other recipes you would like to know, let me know and I’ll have a hunt through my tried and tested favourites. I have everything from restaurant quality to family meals in entrees, mains, desserts, snacks, etc.