The temperature has dropped which can only mean one thing, winter is on its way! Cue sore throats, sniffles, dry skin and the flu that will knock you around for weeks.
Getting ready for winter before it actually hits can help you prevent some of these side effects and prepare you for the flu season ahead. Here are some great ideas and products that will help!
Ways to prepare for winter
Whether you love winter or loathe it, there’s no escaping it so pull out your winter attire and get ready! Here are some things I’ve stocked up on so I’m ready when it comes.
- Pawpaw ointment – I tend to forget this until one of the kids comes home from school with windburn. It is essential in our house. The boys tend to get windburn lips and my daughters’ cheeks always dry out really bad. And as I get older, I’m finding strange places like my elbows are drying out. So pawpaw ointment is our go-to.
Check out: Dr. PAWPAW – $7. They have original and tinted pawpaw balm.
- Vicks Vaporub / Euky Bearub – We have a stash of each of these so we have all bases covered (adults and kids). This is an age-old product that most families have used at one point in time or another. The decongestant and soothing effect can help relieve a blocked nose.
Check out: Vicks Vaporub $12 and Euky Bearub $10.
- Tea – Winter is the only time I drink tea. I find a warm cup of tea helps to soothe my throat when I’m sick. Any tea, even the cheap Bushells Blue Label one is good.
Check out: the tea and coffee aisle at your local supermarket. Approx. $3.
- Hot water bottle – I love my hot water bottle but the new electric hot pack I got is so much better! It takes approx. 10 minutes to heat up (auto thermal cut-out) and lasts between 2-3 hours when it’s cold (longer in warmer environments). I am not a person who likes the cold at all so I use this to warm up my bed before I get in at night time. It’s also good for aches and pains when you have the flu or period pain.
Check out: HOTPOD $40 (Chemist Warehouse)
- Thermometer – When you have kids a thermometer is an essential item. We have had the Oricom Non-Contact digital Thermometer for about three years now and cannot recommend it enough! You can check your child’s temperature without waking or disturbing them.
Check out: Oricom Non-Contact Thermometer $80
- Moisturiser – For similar reasons to the pawpaw ointment, winter dries out the skin so much. Parents will always make sure their child’s skin is cared for but will often forget about themselves. I use Mustela on the kids (and myself) but I always overlook moisturising my hands.
Check out: Mustela from $10 and Greenscape Organic Rose and Geranium Hand Cream $15
- Soup – Get your pot and slow cooker ready for some good hearty soups. There is nothing better in winter than a bowl of hot soup. Chicken noodle or pumpkin soup are always our first picks.
- Tissues – Let’s be honest, you can never have enough tissues when winter is on its way! If they are on sale, buy them.
There are so many great products that will help you get through winter, these are just some of my favourites. And because I love them so much, I have put together a little giveaway to help another family take the stress out of getting ready for winter.
Prize includes: 1x HOTPOD Electric Hot Pack (RRP $39.95), 1x Greenscape Organic Rose & Geranium Hand Cream (RRP $14.95), Dr. PAWPAW balm (RRP $22.85) TOTAL PRIZE: $77.75.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms & Conditions:
1. Australian residents only.
2. Judges decisions are final.
3. Winners must make contact within 72 hours.
4. This is a game of skill. Chance plays no part!
Therefore no extra points are given for sharing however it is good karma!!
5. All Mum Said is not responsible for delivery of prize.
6. All entries will be signed up to our newsletter, if you do not wish to sign up for our newsletter please advise us via email.
NOT endorsed by or have anything to do with Facebook.
If you want to enter more giveaways click over here.
*I was gifted some of these products for the purpose of this giveaway. All opinions are my own.